This video is part of a series where I show how I build a automated, bioactive vivarium.
In this video I install the ventilation and plumbing.
Four times per day the extractor fans are turned on for 45 seconds. During this time the stale air is removed and fresh air is sucked into the vivarium at the bottom (the internal fan also runs for 15 minutes during this time). Afterwards the humidifier runs for a few minutes (again the internal fan runs for a couple of seconds).
The external fans are also turned on for a few seconds when the temperature is very high (over 26 degrees Celsius – this happens only on very warm days). Since most of the warm air is at the top it has an immediate effect on cooling down the vivarium (lights are also turned down if the temperature is high).
The humidity and temperature are measured every 10 minutes and these adjustments are made as required.
The drainage layer is filled with approximately 4cm deep LYCA balls. Water is filled up to 2cm. This is maintained by the overflow pipe at 2cm. I add a bit water approximately 2 times every 3 months. The high humidity and regular misting keeps the loss of water very low.
The vivarium is 160 x 50 x 80 cm in size and approximately 640 liters in volume – 170 gallon – excluding the lid.
It is fully automated with a Raspberry Pi (more information to follow in another video). The real time statistics is available to view here: https://thingspeak.com/channels/436974
Several plants are grown in a bio-active substrate and the system is partly self contained (more information to follow in another video). I plan to introduce dart frogs in the future – keep an eye out for videos on this later.
Read more about everything I make here: https://indukudesign.com
Intro Music: Ask Rufus by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution licence (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/…)